Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Look Not Behind Thee...


I've always thought new years resolutions were funny. Though I do still participate in the annual writing down of new years resolutions I always laugh as I'm thinking of things to write down. Why do we need a new year to motivate us to become better people? Why do we need a new year to motivate us to lose weight or to have a fresh start? Why do we need a new year to make us feel like the past is behind us and that we can finally breathe again? New Years is just like any other day of the year, isn't i?. So why can't we feel like this everyday? Why do we wait for a new year to begin, for the "new us" to come about?
I'm not gonna lie, 2010 was probably one of the most un-fun years of my life. Yes, there were a lot of happy times but a lot of not-so-fun bumps in the road accompanied them as well. I'll spare you the details, but just have to say that I feel greatly blessed to have the people in my life that I do. I could not have made it through without my family and friends by my side. I know Heavenly Father gives us challenges in our lives but I know that we will always come out stronger in the end if we just put our trust in him and have faith.
If you think about it, everything is a challenge. Even small things like tying your shoe, or trying to lose weight. It's how we look at the challenge that creates the outcome of happy or sad. What if we faced every challenge with faith in Christ and with that attitude of "keep moving forward"? Would our challenges be easier to face? I'm not saying that every challenge that life could bring us would be so simple to overcome if we did, but I am saying that we don't need to face them alone. We have been blessed with the great opportunity of putting our trust in the Lord and if we do this, he will carry us through our trials.  
I haven't been the greatest at doing the afformentioned this past year. It's been rough. But I realize now, that it has been rough because I've been trying to beat everything by myself. We hear people say that God won't give us trials we can't overcome, but it's not true. God won't give us trials that we can't overcome by ourselves. I heard this somewhere. I don't remember where or who said it, but it has always stuck with me. Like I said before, this year has been not so fun. I've looked back many times and have felt disgusted with myself, or have felt fear or sorrow and I'm not going to do that anymore. I'm not going to look back one more time. I'm going to put all my faith in the Lord and keep moving forward. And I'll do the same thing starting tomorrow, and the next day and the next day.
May we all treat everyday like it is a new year. Like we've got a beautiful clean slate right in front of our eyes. And may we "look not behind thee", but keep moving forward with faith that Heavenly Father will take care of us. 
Though I'm a few days late, I am wishing you a  happy new year...everyday.  

2 comments: